Monday, December 20, 2010

hot mess moments

Esculhambacao. Translation, A HOT MESS! Here are my top ten "hot mess" moments of the semester:
  1. Biking around town with a flat tire and having to store the bike in the apartment of a friend of a friend who was out of town for the weekend.
  2. Using fabric softener instead of laundry detergent to wash my clothes. For TWO MONTHS!
  3. Surviving a four day weekend alone without electricity (no refrigerator, no tv, no internet, no washing machine--with my clothes in the middle of a cycle after recently discovering the previously mentioned softener fiasco...)
  4. Racking up an R$18 library fee for checking out one book for less than a day. I quickly learned the don't-check-out-periodicals lesson. And to pay library fees you have to print out a bill, go to the bank to pay it, and bring the receipt back to the library. Boy was I missing on-line bill pay!
  5. Using matches to light the stove when I could have just flipped the switch.
  6. That time I spilt chimarrao all of the couch...
  7. Deciding it was the right time to discover that the bottom of the blender screws off while it was full of my precious and hard-earned pumpkin puree.
  8. My phone's SIM card decided to burn out (who knew they could just stop working?) when I was on my way to meet a friend for lunch in a building I had never heard of before.
  9. Let's just say polenta + a blender full of fresh juice = bad idea, expansion of polenta in my stomach.
  10. Trying to navigate Argentina and Paraguay with my creative but not necessarily correct "portunhol" (portuguese + espanhol).

No comments:

Post a Comment