Saturday, November 27, 2010
Thursday, November 25, 2010
A little unconventional, and no site of turkey, but still tasty!And since it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie, that's what I made! Quite a few disasters (including accidentally dropping ALL of the pumpkin puree I strived so hard to make in the sink, burning the pecans, burning my thumb, and spilling pumpkin down the middle of my shirt) but it was well worth it! My first pumpkin pie!
See how excited everyone is?
The dinner table, thanks to the lovely cook Laura Kohmann.
The traditional Thanksgiving drowsiness.
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
- baa - wow! expression used for really good things or really bad things
- que tri! - how cool!
- barbada - piece of cake! something really easy
- bacana - cool
- guri - boy/guy
- pia - young lad
- (bem) capaz - no way, yah right
- tche - hard to define. sometimes it means you. just add it to the end of sentences and you're good to go.
- assar uma carne - barbeque!
- Fulano - any unspecified person, so-and-so, Joe Shmoe
- Sicrano and Beltrano - Fulano's friends, unspecified person of secondary and terciery importance
- gremista - Gremio fan
- colorado - Inter fan
- rango - food
- pila - nickname for the currency (I think it comes from an old currency they used to use.)
- cafundos - not even the middle of nowhere, but the edges of nowhere
- inho - just had "-inho" to the end of everything and you'll sound more Brazilian
- pochete - fanny pack!
- brega - cheesy
- pantufas - slippers
- exibido - show off
- desastrado - clumsy
- trilhasonora - themesong, soundtrack
- manha - knack
- pedalinho - paddleboat
- defenestrar - to throw something/someone out the window
Friday, November 19, 2010
Thursday, November 18, 2010
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. As it is written, "He has distributed freely, He has given to the poor, His righteousness endures forever." He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also the overflowing in many thanksgivings to God.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Monday, November 15, 2010
Friday, November 12, 2010
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Monday, November 8, 2010
- She has curly hair and is really pretty.
- She is artsy and makes cool things.
- She is the best companion for car dance parties.
- She laughs at my jokes. Okay, sometimes...
- She lets me talk to her in Portuguese.
- She loves people.
- She knows all the words to Bicycle Race and Bohemian Rhapsody.
- She lets me borrow "her" car when I come home.
- She has many great things to look forward to in life.
- Basically, she is way cooler than I am.
Sunday, November 7, 2010
Monday, November 1, 2010
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
Comfort = Parakaleo (Greek): to call to one's side, summon, address, speak to, admonish, exhort, console, encourage, strengthen, beg, entreat, instruct, teach
What if comfort was not what we westerners consider comfortable? What if instead of a state of ease and satisfaction, relief, and freedom from pain, the kind of comfort promised to us was encouragement and strength to endure the suffering we will certainly face? It is a summon, an invitation and call to draw closer to God.